- I understand physical contact including, but not limited to, backrubs, sitting on laps, wrestling, rough housing or tickling is not allowed
. Affection is best expressed through positive affirming comments. Physical affection may be expressed using a handshake, high-five, pat on the back or hug. I will only express physical affection after obtaining my Little’s permission.
- I will never display inappropriate materials or initiate discussions of a sexual nature with my Little.
- My Little’s caregiver has the right to view any photos I take of my Little. I will never photograph my Little in his/her bathing suit, undergarments, or without clothing.
PRIVATE RESTROOMS/CHANGING AREAS
- I will always provide separate/private areas for my Little to use the restroom and/or change clothes
. I understand bathing my Little, showering or nude swimming with my Little is not permitted.
- I will never use physical contact or abusive language to correct my Little’s behavior
. If my Little misbehaves during an outing, I can state expectations for behavior and verbally address behavior concerns. If my Little does not respond, I will take my Little home and inform my Little’s caregiver and my MSS of the situation.
ACTIVITIES AT VOLUNTEER’S HOME
- 3 MONTH WAITING PERIOD - My Little and I are not allowed to visit my home during the first 3 months of our match. Once we have been matched for at least 3 months and if I wish to have an activity at my home, I must obtain approval from my MSS and my Little’s caregiver. I will contact my MSS if I need activity ideas in the community.
- APPROPRIATE ROOMS - I understand that my Little should never enter my bedroom or any other bedrooms in my home. Appropriate areas for activities are kitchen, living room or other common areas.
- I understand I am encouraged to do activities at a nominal cost, but I should expect to spend some money while in the program. My Little’s family might not be able to contribute money, so I will keep this in mind when planning our activities. BBBS provides staff planned and facilitated REACH activities for my match.
- I understand gift giving should be limited to special occasions such as a birthday, holiday, special event or recognition of my Little’s achievement. I will receive prior approval from my Little’s caregiver and will limit the amount of a gift or special activity to $50 or less
. Gifts should never be purchased and kept at my home without the permission of my Little’s caregiver and my MSS.
- I am not expected to provide funds, run errands or serve as a resource for my Little’s family. BBBS discourages me from donating money, tuition, rent, furniture, clothing, or any professional services to my Little’s family. I understand any donation must be discussed with and approved in advance by my MSS.
COMMUNICATION/RELATIONSHIP WITH CAREGIVER
- I understand it is important to have a healthy relationship with my Little’s caregiver. I will discuss and obtain permission from my Little’s caregiver for each match activity
. I will keep conversations focused around our match, my Little’s well-being, educational success, and progress toward goals. If my Little’s caregiver needs additional support or services that are outside my role as a mentor, I will encourage him/her to contact BBBS directly for resources.