Welcome, Information, and Consent
We are thrilled about your interest in becoming a Big Sib! We are looking forward to meeting you! A member of our enrollment team will be in contact with you soon after you complete this application. If you have questions please contact us at (304) 522-2191.
All applications will be given equal consideration regardless of race, age, sex, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, or national origin. The application is quite in-depth, so please set aside enough time to complete it without interruptions.
Before you begin, please gather the emails and phone numbers for persons who can provide the following required references for you:
1. Spouse/Spousal Equivalent; If you have no spouse/spousal equivalent, you may use a close family relative instead. Must have known you for at least 1 year.
2. Employer/Educator/Coach reference who has known you for at least 1 year.
3. Personal/Character reference(s) from someone who has known you for at least 1 year.
4. All youth-serving organizations you have been involved with for the previous 10 years, if any.
If for any reason you are unable to obtain enough references, please reach out to us to discuss your situation.
Please carefully read the following statements, as they outline your expectations and responsibilities of being a part of our program. If you agree to all of the statements below, sign at the bottom and we will begin the application.
I CONSENT TO AND UNDERSTAND THAT:
1. I understand that this is an application for a volunteer opportunity and is not a promise or commitment by Big Brothers Big Sisters.
2. I certify that I will answer all questions to the best of my ability and that I won't withhold any information that would affect my application for a volunteer position.
3. I understand that information contained on my application may be verified by Big Brothers Big Sisters.
4. I understand that misrepresentation or omissions may be case for my immediate rejection as an applicant or my termination as a volunteer.
5. As a part of the volunteer screening process, additional personal information about me may be requested by BBBS professional staff. This includes the completion of an in-person interview and potentially a home visit, dependent on the program that I am applying for.
6. The references and youth serving-organization(s) I listed may be contacted by mail, telephone, email, or in-person; BBBS agencies where I have worked or volunteered may also be contacted as references.
7. The information I provided may be used to conduct a background check, to include a search of public domain records, driving records check, juvenile and adult criminal history check, military records, and other records where required by local, state, or federal law for volunteers working with youth.
8. Even if I am accepted as a volunteer, I am in no way obligated to perform any volunteer services should I decide not to proceed.
9. If I am not accepted as a Big Brother or Big Sister I understand that I will be notified, but that the agency is not obligated to disclose reasons for rejections, and the agency has the right to accept or deny me in the application process or to close my future match at any time.
10. I understand that the information I provide in the enrollment process will be kept confidential, unless disclosure is required by law and with exceptions noted below.
11. I understand that incidents of child abuse or neglect, past or present, must be reported to proper authorities.
12. I understand that certain relevant information about me will be discussed with the parent/guardian of a child who is a prospective match (this may include demographic information, information relevant to parent/child preferences, and any information deemed relevant to a child's safety or well-being).
13. I will keep information discussed with me regarding a potential Little Brother/Little Sister confidential. I will not discuss this information with anyone other than the Big Brothers Big Sisters professional staff.
14. It is my responsibility to update the agency if any of the information I provide on this application, in my interview, or any other information provided during the enrollment process changes (including but not limited to address, phone number, auto-insurance, new criminal charges/convictions, violations of the law, civil and domestic occurrences, etc.).
15. I agree to timely communication and follow-up with all agency staff.
16. The following has been explained to me by an agency representative:
*Description of Mission and Values
*Description of clientele
*Expectations of Screening and Matching Process/Supervisory Process
You will sign your acknowledgement of the above statements upon the completion of this application on the "Review and Sign" page.