MATCH AGREEMENT & GROUND
Community Based Program
Support Team Agreement: The
role of the Match Support Specialist (MSS) is to support the match, to monitor
the match for safety and healthy relationship development, and to keep the
match informed of BBBS events and activities. In order to provide you with the
best possible customer service, we agree to these terms:
- We will be available by phone and email to respond in a timely
fashion to any of your needs or concerns.
- We will professionally monitor and assess your match for healthy
development and will assist you if difficulties arise.
- We will support your progress and identify areas of growth.
- We will provide ideas and activities for matches to do together
every month. These will be low cost, fun and educational.
- We will offer training opportunities and resources for Volunteers, Parents/Guardians
- We will provide you with a Match Plan at the beginning of the match
of the Match and we will work with you to revise the Match Plan at the
three and six month anniversary of your match and at least annually
- We will conduct satisfaction surveys and program outcome
evaluations, to gain your ongoing feedback of our program.
- I will commit to seeing my Little consistently and regularly. I will not see my Little more than once a
week. I will discuss specific circumstances that warrant additional
visitation with my MSS.
- I will initiate contact with my Little by telephone. Match
activities will be arranged by me, in advance, and in consultation with
- I will not include other adults and children on outings with my
Little without the prior approval of my Match Support Specialist.
- I will never leave my Little unsupervised or with someone else.
- I will comply with the BBBS Home Visit and Overnight Policy &
Agreement. I will not bring my Little to my home during the first twelve (12)
months of my match; and I will not have overnight visits during the first two
years. I understand that overnight
visits will be discussed after the match has successfully passed the two
year anniversary mark and I have adhered to all of the appropriate terms
of the match. I will not discuss home visits or overnights with the Little
or the parent before I have had
a discussion with the BBBS Match Support Specialist and been given the
approval to proceed.
- I will plan safe and appropriate activities for my Little. These activities can be BBBS events or
any other free or low-cost activity.
I realize that I am responsible for the cost of any activity that I
choose to engage in with my Little. I will keep the money that I spend on
our outings to a minimum.
- I will not give my Little or the Parent/Guardian any money. Gifts for
my Little will be limited to birthdays or special holidays, and will not
- If there are things I need to discuss with the Parent/Guardian, I
will do so in private, and not in front of my Little. If a problem arises between the
Parent/Guardian and me, I will contact my Match Support Specialist
- I will communicate monthly with my Match Support Specialist and
will respond to all phone calls, emails or letters from agency staff. When requested, I will complete all surveys
and evaluations in a timely manner.
- I understand that I will be required to meet with my MSS and my
Little and Parent/Guardian in person at our six and twelve month match
anniversary and annually thereafter. I also understand and agree to meet
with my MSS, my Little and Parent/Guardian at any time my BBBS MSS feels
it is appropriate. I understand that compliance with this policies is
required in order to continue my match relationship.
- I understand I will be responsible for working on my match goals as
initially established and being an active participant in setting new goals
at the three and six month anniversary of my match and at least annually
- I understand that the following objectives are the overall goals of
BBBS and will make every effort to insure that my match relationship with
my Little is working toward these objectives.
When I realize that if/when my match needs to end, I will contact
my Match Support Specialist immediately. I understand that I will be
actively involved in the closure of my match and I will commit to ending the
match in a way that will be best for my Little and myself.
- Successful completion of the 3rd grade reading
- Successful completion of the 8th grade math proficiency
- Graduation from high school and receipt of high school diploma
- The development of a 13 year plan that supports education,
military service, career training or other activities that will provide
for financial independence.
- I agree to let my child see the Big consistently. I will not allow my child to see the Big
more than once a week unless the need has been specifically discussed with
my MSS and approved.
- I understand that I am an active partner in my child’s relationship
with a Big Brother/ Sister and that I play an important role in keeping my
- I understand that the match is a friendship between my child and
the Big. I will not ask for special favors from the Big. My child is the
only person who can go on outings with the Big unless my Match Support
Specialist gives permission for another adult or child to join the
match on an outing.
- I will be involved in the planning of all match activities and
outings but ultimately, I will allow the match to make their final plans. I will be flexible with family plans so
they do not interfere with the match relationship. If I am not comfortable with a selected
activity, I will discuss it with the Big or my Match Support Specialist.
- I will contact the Big immediately if my child will not be able to
go on a planned outing.
- I will have my child appropriately dressed, fed, and ready on time
for each outing.
- When my child returns from outings, I will have a detailed
discussion with him/her about what the match did together and how the
- I will discourage my child from asking for presents, special treats
or expecting expensive outings. I am welcome to send money along with my
child on each outing.
- I will make arrangements with the Big if I cannot be at home when
my child is to return from outings.
- I will return all phone messages/texts/emails from the Big, and
will ensure that my child will do so as well. If there are things I need to discuss
with the Big, I will do so in private, and not in front of my child. If a problem arises between the Big and
me, I will contact my Match Support Specialist immediately.
- I will not use time with the Big as a reward or a punishment for my
child. I will not restrict my child from seeing the Big but I may restrict
outings to only include educational or service-oriented activities, if
necessary. If I am having difficulties
with my child, I will communicate them to the Big and the Match Support
Specialist so that a plan for improvement can be developed.
- I will communicate regularly with my Match Support Specialist and
will respond to all phone calls, emails or letters from agency staff. When requested, I will complete all
surveys and evaluations in a timely manner.
- I understand that I will be required to meet with my MSS and my
child’s Big in person at the six and 12 month anniversary of the match and
annually thereafter. I also understand and agree to meet with my MSS and
my child’s Big any time my BBBS MSS feels it is appropriate. I understand
that compliance with this policy is required in order to continue the
- I understand I will be responsible for working with my child and
their Big to meet their match goals as initially established and being an
active participant in setting new goals at the three and six month
anniversary of the match and at least annually thereafter.
- When I realize that my child’s match needs to end, I will contact
my Match Support Specialist as soon as possible. I will end the match in a
way that will be best for my child and the Big.
- I agree to see my Big on a regular basis. I will not ask to see my Big
more than once a week.
- I understand that to have a friend I have to be one:
I will always tell my Parent/Guardian about the plans I make with
When I return from an outing with my Big, I will talk to my Parent/Guardian
about what my Big and I did together and what I thought (or how I
felt) about the outing.
I will talk regularly with my Match Support Specialist to tell them
about my match.
I will not keep secrets about the match from my Parent/Guardian or
my Match Support Specialist.
I will tell my Parent/Guardian or Match Support Specialist if I am
uncomfortable or have a funny feeling about anything that happens with my Big.
- I will talk to my Big and help plan our activities together and I
will be open to trying new things.
- I will use good manners, always be on my best behavior and will remember
to say thank you for outings.
- I will be ready on time for our scheduled outings.
- I will not ask to bring friends or family members along on
activities with my Big.
- I will not expect my Big to spend money on me or buy me things.
- I will not ask to spend the night at my Big’s house.
- I will ask for my Big’s phone number and will try to call/text
them. I will always return
calls/texts from my Big immediately.
At the beginning of the match, the Parent/Guardian and
Big will discuss safety information and family rules. Topics to be discussed
should include: family rules or restrictions; parental values regarding music,
television shows, & movies; any medical/allergy concerns or needs of the Little;
and any other information the Parent/Guardian feels is appropriate.
During outings, the Big will always keep the Little
within “sight and sound.” The Little is NEVER to be unsupervised at any time.
The Big will always respect the Little’s need for
privacy and personal boundaries. The Big will always provide a separate,
private area for a Little to use the restroom and/or change clothes.
The Big will refrain from any unapproved physical
contact, such as wrestling, tickling, hitting, pinching and sitting on a Big’s
lap. These behaviors are never allowed.
CONTACT WITH YOUR MATCH SUPPORT SPECIALIST
match will be professionally monitored by BBBS Staff throughout the life of the
match. The Big, Parent/Guardian and Little
must stay in regular contact with the Match Support Specialist. This is
essential for the development of the match and the safety of the Little. Contact will occur according to the following
the match introduction, all parties will need to contact the Match Support
Specialist within the first 14 days, and again by the end of the first month of
b. After the first month, all
parties will talk to the Match Support Specialist each month.
Big and the Parent/Guardian will notify the Match Support Specialist
immediately if there are any changes in employment, residence or contact
REPORT OF ABUSE
BBBS is required by law to
disclose the following to the appropriate authorities:
If any party of the match is a danger to himself/herself
or someone else.
If any party of the match discloses physical,
sexual, emotional abuse or neglect.
The Big is a friend, not a Parent/Guardian. It is
appropriate for the Big to correct misbehavior within the context of the match
relationship. However, parenting is left to the Parent/Guardian.
Physical discipline of the Little by the Big is
never allowed. Likewise, any demeaning, shaming, threatening, exploitative
behavior is also never permissible.
The Little is always expected to be on their best
behavior when they are with their Big. If the Little does not comply with
verbal request(s) made by the Big, the Big will end the outing immediately and
return the Little to the Parent/Guardian.
It is important that all
match parties respect the different values and views each brings to the match
At the beginning of the match, the Parent/Guardian
will inform the Big of any special medical issues that the Little has or any
medication that the Little takes regularly.
The Big is prohibited from providing and/or
administering any medication or medical treatment to the Little. (except in situations where the Little has a
life-threatening condition such as food allergies or asthma, and the Parent has
granted the Big permission to administer emergency medication, such as an
epi-pen or inhaler)
If the Little is injured or needs medical
attention, the Big should contact the Parent/Guardian immediately and/or take
the Little to the nearest emergency room.
BBBS MSS should be informed immediately of any
accident or injury that occurs while the Big is with their Little.
Big is prohibited from using or being under the influence of alcohol or drugs while
they are with their Little or consuming alcohol within 12 hours prior to
picking up the Little. The use of tobacco in the presence of the Little is also
Big assumes no legal responsibility resulting from the relationship with the Little.
If a family problem arises, financial or otherwise, the Little or Parent/Guardian
may contact BBBS staff for assistance.
OBEYING THE LAW
The Big is required to comply with all local, state
and federal laws.
Criminal background checks may be conducted on the Big
each year that they remain in the program.
The Big is responsible for notifying their Match
Support Specialist within 24 hours of the incident of any arrests, convictions
and/or traffic violations that occur after the Big is matched.
In addition, the Big will notify their Match
Support Specialist if anyone with whom they live is arrested or convicted for
any criminal activity, including harm to a child.
The Big must notify their Match Support Specialist
immediately if they choose to obtain a weapon at anytime during the match.
The Big will carry automobile liability insurance
as required by the State of Ohio and will submit a current copy of their proof
of insurance at the time of enrollment and at least annually thereafter.
Whenever the Big accompanies the Little, the Big
must be the driver of the car. At no time is the Little allowed to operate the
All Littles are required to follow all Ohio and
Federal laws regarding riding in an automobile including the use of a car/booster
seat or riding in the front or back seat.
Seatbelts will be worn at all times by the
volunteer and the Little. For the safety of the Little, it is recommended that
any child under the age of 13 sit in the rear of an automobile.
While driving with the Little, the Big will refrain
from texting. Cell phone use is
prohibited while driving and cell phone usage in general should be kept to
minimum. The Big should be concentrating
their entire attention on the Little.
DISREGARD OF GROUND RULES
disregard of the above ground rules or any willful misrepresentation of
information given to the agency by the Parent/Guardian, Little or Big will
result in immediate review and possible closure from the program.
I understand and agree to abide by this agreement
and the ground rules, policies, and regulations of Big Brothers Big Sisters of
Summit, Medina and Stark Counties. Furthermore, I understand that any
exceptions must be requested and approved in advance by our Match Support
Specialist or a Big Brothers Big Sisters Program Manager.