Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Minnesota respects the confidentiality of client and volunteer records and, with the exception of situations listed below, shares information about clients and volunteers only among the agency professional staff.
All records are considered the property of the agency and not the agency workers or clients or volunteers themselves. Records are not available for review by the clients or volunteers.
1. Information will be released to other individuals or non-BBBS organizations only with the client or volunteer's written consent.
2. For purposes of program evaluation, audit, or accreditation, and with the prior approval of the Board of Directors, certain outside bodies such as Big Brothers Big Sisters of America may have access to client and volunteer records.
3. Members of the Board of Directors or evaluators appointed by the Board have access to client files upon authorization of the Board of Directors.
4. Information shall only be provided to law enforcement officials or the courts pursuant to a valid and enforceable subpoena.
5. Information shall be provided to an agency's legal counsel in the event of litigation or potential litigation involving the agency.
6. State law mandates that suspected child abuse be reported to the appropriate authorities (law enforcement or social services).
7. If an agency worker receives information indicating that a client or volunteer may be dangerous to themselves or to others, necessary steps may be taken to protect the appropriate party. This may include a medical referral or report to the local law enforcement authorities.
8. At the time a youth or volunteer is considered as a match candidate, information is shared between the prospective match parties. The information about the volunteer may include such items as: age, gender identity, race, religion, interests, hobbies, marriage, family status, sexual orientation, living situation, etc. Information about the child may include such items as age, gender identisy, sexual identity, race, religion, interests, hobbies, family situation, etc.