I understand it will be
necessary for BBBS to check my background regarding criminal history, driving
record, character references, and employment records now and annually until my
affiliation with the agency has officially ended. I do give my consent for any agency such as:
police, sheriff, courts, social services, etc., to release any information concerning
me, either of public record or otherwise, and to furnish it to BBBS. I further understand that it is my
responsibility to inform BBBS of any infractions of the law including motor
Criteria for automatic disqualification is included but not
Factors of Automatic Disqualification
● Failure to complete the application and screening process (including
unwillingness to submit to a background check)
● Lying about criminal history
● History of Criminal Activity:
○ All offenses involving child abuse or
neglect, regardless of the amount of time since the offense
○ All sex offenses, regardless of the amount
of time since the offense and regardless of whether the individual completed
therapy (e.g., child molestation, rape, sexual assault, sexual battery,
prostitution, solicitation, indecent exposure, etc.)
○ All felony violence, regardless of the
amount of time since the offense
○ All felony offenses other than violence or
sex within the past 10 years (e.g., drug offenses, theft, embezzlement, fraud,
child endangerment, etc.)
○ All misdemeanor violence offenses within
the past 7 years (e.g., simple assault, battery, domestic violence, hit and
○ All misdemeanor drug & alcohol offenses
within the past 5 years or multiple offenses in the past 10 years (e.g.,
driving under the influence, simple drug possession, drunk and disorderly,
public intoxication, possession of drug paraphernalia, etc.)
○ Any other misdemeanor or crime within the
past 5 years that would be considered a potential danger to children, involved
children, or is directly related to the functions of that volunteer (e.g.
contributing to the delinquency of a minor, providing alcohol to a minor,
○ On parole or probation for any offense.
● History of any sexually exploitive behavior
● Termination from a paid or volunteer position caused by misconduct with
● Current substance abuse problems.
● Current or recent history of psychiatric problems.
Factors of Likely Ineligibility--Items
below are at the staff’s discretion based upon time frame and frequency of
● Sporadic job history
● Major upheaval (positive or negative) in applicant's life to which
applicant has not yet adjusted (i.e., marriage, divorce, death of a close
person, birth of a child or change of job, etc.)
● Driving record that demonstrates poor judgment in the operation of a
motor vehicle, (i.e. violations, D.U.I, reckless driving, suspensions,
● Violation of Minor in Possession (MIP). If the offense is less than a
year old, the applicant can be pending six months after MIP violation upon
discretion of staff. If more than one offense, BBBS staff and COO will decide on
an individual basis.
● Difficulty in establishing and sustaining close relationships as
determined by interviews from BBBS Staff.
● Inappropriate role model as determined by interviews with BBBS Staff.
● Lack of readiness to take on the commitment of being a Big
● Lack of other personal qualifications.